Thursday 23 October 2014

Radio 1 Rescores Drive, Curated By Zane Lowe... Are they nuts?

Radio 1, led by super-cool Zane Lowe, have decided to rescore the movie Drive with an all new soundtrack. The film will be screened on BBC3 on Thursday 30th October. 

New music will be included from the likes of Banks, Baauer, Jon Hopkins, SBTRKT, The 1975, Bastille, Bring Me The Horizon, CHVRCHES, Eric Prydz, Foals, Laura Mvula, The Neighbourhood and more. I've got to say I haven't heard much of any of these but they will have to be pretty damn good to beat the likes of Cliff Martinez, College and Kavinsky.


I love the idea, the ambition and the boldness of going for a film so loved for its film score but I can't help but suspect that this can't be totally successful. It's got the blessing of director Nicholas Winding Refn but surely he knows they can't beat the original music? If Zane Lowe and Radio 1 had decided to tackle something with a less distinctive and iconic score, that would be more understandable.

I guess the point is that this is an experiment and therefore, whether it's better or worse is irrelevant. I for one am looking forward to seeing the new version. If it sucks, we've always got the original to go back and watch. And if it's awesome, I can't wait to see what they dare to tackle next! Here's the trailer for the re-scored version:



What do you think? Reckon this can work?

Reviews from I Love That Film

Top 10 lists from I Love That Film

I Love That Film at the London Film Festival 2014

PLEASE buy my book on The Blair Witch Project

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.