Wednesday 12 June 2013

Big trailers: Man of Steel and The Desolation of Smaug

The final Man of Steel trailer was released this week and seems to prove that this latest version of Superman is bound to be a smash hit. It looks absolutely stunning and while there might be a little too much footage in this latest trailer, I applaud the way this film has been marketed. It may not have gripped me from the start with the first teasers looking a little too serious for my liking but they have grown on me and the action stuff in the most recent trailers looks incredible.

Henry Cavill looks like a buff and brilliant Superman but I'm more excited to see what Amy Adams makes of Lois Lane and I think the casting of Kevin Costner and Russel Crowe as Kal-El's two fathers is supreme. I'm hoping that Man of Steel will find the fun of director Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, the style of his Watchmen and the believability or producer Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Anyway if you haven't seen the newest trailer, here it is:



I recently heard the film is already pretty much profitable thanks to something like $170 million worth of licensing deals and therefore it should be no surprise that a sequel has already been green lit. I'm seeing it tomorrow night hopefully and my review will be up on Tastic Film on Friday.

Justice League merchandise hits shop 

Damon Lindelof talks Justice League movie problems 

Will Guillermo del Toro make DC's Justice League Dark movie after Pacific Rim? 

Give Zack Snyder the job of directing Justice League movie

The other big trailer of the week is obviously for The Hobbit part 2 aka The Desolation of Smaug. What concerns me about this is that Legolas and some character Peter Jackson made up feature so prominently in the trailer. While Legolas might have been alive when The Hobbit takes place, he isn't in the original story and this Tauriel that 'Freckles' from Lost is playing is completely from the imagination of Jackson, Boyens, Walsh (and maybe even del Toro). The dwarves, Gandalf and Bilbo barely get a word in despite the fact that half of this film will be total and udder money grabbing padding.

Smaug is finally revealed, or at least his head is but the way it is teased at the end is clearly meant to make me wee with excitement but unfortunately does not fill me with the requisite awe. There is sadly no sign of Beorn yet either. Still, the barrels look fun, it looks darker than the last part of the trilogy and the spiders of Mirkwood are bound to be horrible so there are still plenty of reasons to get excited.

Here is the trailer:



More trailers at I Love That Film:

The Wolverine

Pacific Rim

Are you liking the look of these trailers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.