Friday 21 October 2011

Big Society

Sitting at the LFF yesterday listening to the discussion about Fact VS Fiction, I was desperate to ask the panel how they felt about the current horror mock-doc trend in cinema.  But I felt it might be a little far out of the topic as mostly the discussion had been about documentaries and fiction films based on real events/characters.  No mention of mock-docs or horror.

Luckily the guy next to me raised the question.  Wary of the term mockumentary, he asked what the panel thought about films that fake authenticity.  He mentioned that he had just completed his own short film and that it was similar to the form of Man Bites Dog

As this is one of the focus films of my PhD thesis, I thought I'd catch him at the end of the discussion and get his name and the name of his film.  I'm glad I did.

The guy sitting next to me was Jonathan Rhodes and his film which he starred in, produced and co-wrote is Big Society.  Directed and co-written by Nick Scott, it is a great little short.  Similar in form to films like Man Bites Dog, The Magician and The Last Horror Movie, it looks at one man's controversial approach to tackling social issues.  It has a vital, interesting message with an engaging central performance and lead character.  See it below and let me know what you think:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.